Below, you find a list and links with some helpful open source software. We will use some of the software listed below in class.
Learning support software:
- Mind mapping software: FreeMind (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Download)
- Flow diagrams: Dia (http://dia-installer.de/download/index.html.en)
- Software that helps you organize your literature: Mendeley (http://www.mendeley.com)
- Statistical computing and graphing software: R (http://www.r-project.org)
To find out how to install R on your computer, please download the following tutorial Installing R and R-Commander (tutorial credit: Jessica Utts). The tutorial also explains how to install R Commander on your computer. R Commander is a graphical interface for R that we will be using in our Ecology class.
Important: If you have a Mac and problems loading R Commander, please refer to the following website: http://socserv.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/installation-notes.html
Geograhic Information Systems (GIS):
- ArcGIS Explorer (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/download.html)
Image analysis and manipulation:
- ImageJ (http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/download.html)
- MultiSpec (https://engineering.purdue.edu/~biehl/MultiSpec)
Video tutorial creation software:
- Download the “MD Camera Series Drivers and software” here.